Sunday, November 19, 2006

typhoon surfin'


k, this pic was from about 2 months ago, where me and Aussie Nathan took advantage of a typhoon's waves and went for a little surf. We forgot our cameras, so we asked a kind Frenchman to take our picture with his camera and email them to us....and we just got them now, and with them come flooding back the memories of that epic stormy day...

I wanted to go surfing, because I heard that Busan was the only city where you could really get decent waves in all of Korea. Being the seasoned surf chick that i am (hahahaha...I'm from Southern Ontario, people....haha), I thought it would be no problem for me to get back into it. After all, I learned how to surf in Maui of all places, which I think should make one automatically a pro surfer, or at least...good. And so I phoned my friend that I thought would also be good, basing it only on the fact that he is from The Land Down Under. Let me just say, as cool as we look in our snazzy wetsuits, we both proved to be an embarrassment to both the Golden Coast and the Golden Isle. Nathan got up once or twice for a 2 second ride and I got up...*sigh*....nil. Apparently, it's all about "timing" and being able to "read the ocean," both which, seemingly, I suck at. Ah well. I still had fun, and got a couple belly rides which I didn't want to ruin by attempting to stand up. It was still good to be out there in the water, floating around with my fellow wanna-be surfers and a few actual ones who were kind enough to let us know that "it just takes time." Apparently an intense desire to be cool and a closet full of surf clothes just doesn't cut it.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You certainly do look "chic" in that wetsuit on a cloudy not so nice day. you must be hardcore...it was definitely the 3 metre waves...they're impossible;)
Coudos to you for trying to surf in Busan...next time Bali...
keep livin' hardcore,

Sacha

Anonymous said...

Are those sharks in the background?? Ahh!

Aubrey said...

Well, I wouldn't claim that Korea is the haven for surfers, not that I've been. And you do dress the part, Roxy girl.

Anyway, there's always the next time...

Anonymous said...

Jen!
Ciao!
The title should be: siamo tutti belli (plural!).

Anyway, how are you bella?
:)

daveandesther said...

G! Glad to see you back in the world of blogging! THanks for the comment on our blog - sounds like you have some exciting plans coming up! And yes, it would be great for you to come our way for a little visit - here´s the catch - we are actually in Canada for 12 days at the beginning of Feb! Yeah, bit of a suprise, but I am going on behalf of my school to recruit teachers for next year. (And Dave is coming courtesy of his parents). Anyways, not sure how that works with your plans - but send us an email and let us know.

Lots of love,
Esther

Anonymous said...

I have such a burning desire to learn how to surf! haha i love that you tired!
Dan Baumann is soo awesome, i just loved hearing him. He was definitly a bit quirky, but it made listening so much more enjoyable. For my out reach i am going to Thailand! I can't even wait!!!
love hearing from you and i love you!!
J

Unknown said...

I want more blog updates!!

Love ya gal!

Sacha